Thursday, January 3, 2013

Golden Globes Predix Part 1

So I was browsing online last night and it hit me that next week are the Golden Globes!!! That said, I need to start compiling my list of who should win and who will win [Films I have seen]:

Best Supporting Actor
Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln
Phillip Seymour Hoffman – The Master
Alan Arkin – Argo
Leonardo diCaprio – Django Unchained
Christoph Waltz – Django Unchained
Who should win: DiCaprio took on his first villain role ever, yet he shares this category with four previous Oscar and Golden Globe winners (3 of which won in this category – Hoffman has only won lead, although he has been nominated for his supporting roles too). All of these are phenomenal actors and any one of them should win. I’d like to give it to DiCaprio.
Who will win: Tommy Lee Jones has been receiving a bucket load of attention(and critics awards) for his role as Thaddeus Stevens. In a race that’s very much 20-20-20-20-20 I’m tossing a coin and going to go with him.

Best Supporting Actress
Sally Fields – Lincoln
Anne Hatheway – Les Miserables
Helen Hunt – The Sessions
Nicole Kidman – The Paperboy
Amy Adams – The Master
Who should win: I’d love to see Hatheway win for her collective work on Les Mis and TDKR. This past year was amazing for her, with two roles that she seems to have slaughtered despite scientism from critics for both (heck, I didn’t think that she could pull off Catwoman, but she did). Give her a globe, give her something to sing about…
Who will win: again we have a category filled with previous winners and nominees, and although I don’t think it’s as close as the men’s race equivalent, its still pretty close. In the end, I think Hatheway takes it.

Best Director
Katherine Bigelow – Zero Dark Thirty
Steven Spielberg – Lincoln
Ben Affleck – Argo
Quinton Tarantino – Django Unchained
Ang Lee – Life of Pi
Who should win: Wow! What a category, matching up exactly to the Best Picture – Drama nominees. Its tough. Spielberg and Lee have both won twice, Bigelow and Tarantino have been nominated once before. I’m hoping Affleck wins. Argo was completely exhilarating, and the pacing was perfect!
Who will win: it’s really anybody’s game. I feel that Bigelow is slightly ahead (as seen by her critic award wins) but critics are not by any means the deciding vote. I don’t want to bet on anything, but if it was mandatory, I’d go with Affleck.

Best Screenplay
Mark Boal – Zero Dark Thirty
Tony Kushner – Lincoln
Quinton Tarantino – Django Unchained
Chris Terrio – Argo
David O. Russell – Silver Linings Playbook

Who should win: All the candidates are adapted screenplays (which I haven’t come across before) which makes it difficult for me to even try to predict. Having only seen two makes it even more tricky. I’m going to go with Argo or Lincoln, although any one of these films could take it and I wouldn’t mind – they’re all winners.
Who will win: Most probably Lincoln or Argo, but be prepared for anything.

Best Original Score
Dario Marianelli – Anna Karenina
Alexanrde Desplat – Argo
John Williams – Lincoln
Mychael Danna – Life of Pi
Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek and Reinhold Heil – Cloud Atlas
Who should win: Alexandre Desplat
Who will win: Its hard to say. I’ve seen 3 of them and yet, I can’t really remember any of them with great enthusiasm. I’d go with Desplat, just because he did so many other amazing film scores this year (Rise of the Guardians, Zero Dark Thirty, Moonrise Kingdom and even foreign competitor Rust and Bone!). Come on, not even Spielberg worked that hard!

Best Original Song
“For You” (Keith Urban and Michael McDevitt) – Act of Valour
“Not Running Anymore” (Jon Bon Jovi) – Stand Up Guys
“Safe and Sound” (Taylor Swift and the Civil Wars) – The Hunger Games
“Skyfall” (Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth) – Skyfall

“Suddenly” (Claude-Michel Schonberg, Alain Boubil and Herbert Kretzmer) – Les Miserables
Who should win: We all loved Skyfall even before we saw the film, and it along with the song, became a mega-hit.
Who will win: Last year Madonna won, maybe they’ll honour another legend this year, but maybe that legend turns out to be Taylor Swift or Jon Bon Jovi. Suddenly also has a great chance the way “Listen” had with Dreamgirls, but that one didn’t win. Skyfall.

Best Animated Feature
Brave
Frankenweenie
Hotel Transylvania
Wreck-it-Ralph
Rise of the Guardians
*Sidenote: ParaNorman was sidelined for Hotel Transylvania. I haven’t seen Norman in action, but judging from internet buzz (and my brother), the Globes got it wrong.
Who should win: Not Brave. I’m such an avid Pixar fan, but I must say, this time they missed to plot slightly. It was beautifully rendered, but the story was weak. Hotel T? No. Rise of the Guardians, maybe. Like Brave (but better) it was beautifully shot, but the plot was slightly lacking in places. If the other two are as impressive as their trailers, then I hope Ralph takes it – its about time Disney won something without the help of Pixar.
Who will win: With ParaNorman out of the picture, I’m thinking Frankenweenie, with Ralph and Guardians in a close second. Brave = a possible upset

Best Foreign Language Film
Amour
The Intouchables
Rust and Bone
A Royal Affair
Kon-Toki
Who should win: Critically, it should be Amour (which has a foot-in for best picture at the Oscar nominations announcement next week) or Rust and Bone (which has Cotillard nominated for actress already). It must also be said though, that The Intouchables is one of the highest grossing French films ever produced and is also well-liked by critics. I’m thinking, for the globes, The Intouchables should take it and leave Amour to win the Oscar
Who will win: Its between the first 3. I’m thinking The Intouchables – because the Globes seem to take the audience into consideration at least some of the time…

Part 2 (with the major awards) to follow soon! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment